[TriLUG] live ubuntu [ Was Re: booting an external disk with grub 0.97 ]

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Apr 22 09:06:46 EDT 2015

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Alan Porter via TriLUG wrote:

>> I tried the debian-live-standard usb stick.
>
> In general, I would imagine you'd have better luck with the Ubuntu live
> USB stick, since their manta is "it just works".  Debian's mantra is "just
> the free (license) stuff".

have ubuntu running live from a usb stick and have configured wifi (thank you).

I couldn't find vi, but I did find gedit and wrote hello_world.py. However I
can't find an xterm amongst the all the really useful desktop applications (like
the highly prized "Amazon" app). Any idea how I can invoke an xterm?

According to the "Ubuntu Software Center" I can remove python, so I assume it's
installed. If it's installed, I presume I'm supposed to be able to run it. Is
there a way to run it besides from an xterm?

Thanks Joe

> That means that stuff like wifi, which usually use some bits of proprietary
> code, is going to be more likely to work on Ubuntu (when booted straight
> out of the box, like from a live USB stick).
>
> Alan

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml