[TriLUG] unetbooti

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Apr 24 17:00:12 EDT 2015

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015, Scott Miller via TriLUG wrote:

> unetbootin has a ton of launchpad bugs for ubuntu, and debian is pondering
> removing it:

I suspect unetbootin is similar to the install done by the pendrive site. I got
a multibooting persistent usb stick out of the pendrive site once, but it took a
couple of days and it was fiendishly difficult. I won't be doing it again.

I expect all that's required is a couple of cli instructions and an explanation
of the casper file system. The rest is just a gui that doesn't work whose main
role is to hide the simple workings underneath. The only inputs are the iso
filename, the size of the casper filesystem and the location of the flashdrive.
That all the gui does - accept those input. The pendrive site doesn't explain
what they're doing. This is counter to the spirit of GNU.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml