[TriLUG] TriLUG Server Refresh

Bill Farrow via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 1 13:18:45 EDT 2015

Some great feedback. Thanks !

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Jonathan Mainguy via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> Pilot takes up about 150GB right now. So 1-2tb should be good

I was thinking that we would get 1TB of storage for now.

> Not sure what access to the Datcenter is like for physically replacing, we
> can prolly assume 1 week.

One week sounds reasonable. The SC typically needs to schedule around
day jobs and family. Plus we would need time to purchase a replacement
drive if one fails.

> SC - Can yall comment on budget for disks?

We were budgeting for up to $400 for disks and caddies. If we go for
H/W RAID 5 or 6 then we would need to increase the budget.

> At the moment we only plan on running Pilot, but of course want to add more
> VM's as we have time to move services off, guestimate around 10?

I would guess 3 VM guests = users, web & mailing list services, auth

> Support - SC changes every year, and volunteers come and go, so we can
> figure out who will support it for the near future, its hard to know who
> will support it 12months out. That being said, we should choose something
> we can train new volunteers up on easily.

Opensource please. My preference is Debian and kvm, but that is just
what I am used to.

Bill