[TriLUG] One thing led to another and killed my Samsung Ultrabook running Linux Mint.

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 21 16:28:28 EDT 2015

Yeah, the first thing I'd do is boot a "live" distro from CD or thumbdrive,
and use it to clone the HDD to a backup drive, or at least backup your
important files.

However, I'd use ddrescue
<http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/manual/ddrescue_manual.html> rather
than dd to copy the HDD. If your HDD is starting to fail, ddrescue will
nevertheless recover whatever it is possible to recover. Be sure to use it
with a "log file" so that it can resume if it is interrupted.

Assuming you've booted from a CD, and your old HDD is /dev/sda, and your
USB-attached new or scratch HDD is /dev/sdb, and your thumbdrive's data
partition is /dev/sdc1, then do it like this:

1. verify which is which of the three drives:

fdisk -lu

*Be very, very sure you don't mix them up, lest you destroy all your
data!!!*

2. copy the drive:

mount /dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1
cd /media/sdc1
mkdir rescue_hdd
cd rescue_hdd
ddrescue -B -f /dev/sda /dev/sdb drive.log

Dave