[TriLUG] New Qemu and VirtualBox docs for Linux

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun May 24 16:15:39 EDT 2015

On Sun, 24 May 2015 12:49:14 -0400
"Hrivnak, Michael" <mhrivnak at hrivnak.org> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing. FWIW, I think a much better comparison would be
> virtualbox vs. kvm+libvirt+virt-manager. Your scripts allow someone
> to use qemu+kvm without getting into qemu's command-line minutia.
> libvirt and virt-manager have a similar goal, but they've been around
> a long time and are the standard tools people use to manage qemu+kvm.
> Having used virtualbox in the past, I now use virt-manager for a
> similar graphical experience that I find just as easy to use.
>
> Your summary frames virtualbox as the "intuitive GUI" one and
> qemu+kvm as the "command line" one, which is only true if you ignore
> virt-manager. Is there some reason you chose to do so?

Yes. Because I was unaware of virt-manager, until you and one other
person let me know. I'll be researching virt-manager very soon now.
Thank you for the info!

> It's also worth noting that virtualbox has an extensive command-line
> interface, so I wouldn't describe it as "resistant to scripting".

Thank you. I didn't know that. Where can I read more about Virtual
Box's CLI?

> Sorry I'm providing unsolicited feedback, but as a big fan of
> kvm+libvirt+virt-manager, I'd like to see that side fully
> represented. :)

Thank you much for providing unsolicited feedback. I'm just one guy who
can't know everything, but thanks to unsolicited feedback like yours, I
can improve articles after I write them. Your feedback is priceless!

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2015 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz