[TriLUG] Using dd to repair a VirtualBox .vdi file

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue May 26 11:42:48 EDT 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015 11:03:52 -0400
Paul Boyle via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a VirtualBox VM (guest is Windows7) hosted on my Linux laptop.
> Recently (after upgrading to VirtualBox 4.3.28), the "main disk"  vdi
> file got corrupted and the VM won't boot now.

I'm sure others will come through with the exact dd command you need
--- I don't know it off hand.

In the meantime, what happens if you change your VM's CD to a System
Rescue CD .iso and change your boot order to CD first? I'm thinking you
could boot, mount your original VM's virtual hard drive, perhaps chroot
to it, look around, and maybe make repairs.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2015 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz