[TriLUG] Using dd to repair a VirtualBox .vdi file

Paul Boyle via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue May 26 12:12:07 EDT 2015

This is weird. I thought I would post my problem to the VirtualBox
forum as Roger suggested.  I decided to boot my Windows7 VM in order to
record the exact error.  Much to my surprise, however, the VM
booted up OK.  I think maybe the Linux system for some reason needed to
be rebooted before VirtualBox would work again.

The initial problem was that I was watching Netflix through the VM and
it appeared that entire machine would freeze up.  The only solution was
to power off the laptop. That's a separate problem probably related
to the recent upgrade.

Thanks for the help so far, but, I think my dd question has become
moot.  However, for the sake of learning, if someone does have the
the dd command which would do what I want, I would still like to know
it.

Paul

--
Paul D. Boyle, Ph. D.