[TriLUG] Bye bye Tiger

Ric Moore via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat May 30 16:35:44 EDT 2015

On 05/29/2015 06:34 PM, Danielle White via TriLUG wrote:

> On 05/29/2015 05:46 PM, Ric Moore via TriLUG wrote:
>> On 05/29/2015 09:35 AM, Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG wrote:
>>> I have said before that while Virginia drivers seem to be suicidal (I-95
>>> between Richmond and DC), Massachusetts drivers are definitely
>>> homicidal.
>>> As legendarily difficult as navigating Boston surface streets can be,
>>> there
>>> are few things closer to a Mad Max movie as driving I-84 in
>>> Massachusetts...
>>
>> Try Houston some time. It's another Mad Max town with cowboy boots. :)
>> Ric
>>

> Did Houston last May, on a motorcycle no less.
>
> San Francisco was the worst of the trip, though - we met some friends
> for dinner at The Stinking Rose on a Thursday night.

For a very long time they had an open container law in Houston. You
could have a cold beer, and drive home in the 6 lanes of traffic fleeing
Houston south on I-45 towards Clear Lake (NASA) and Galveston.

At 4 mph and 30 miles to go, a cold beer was a necessity. I even managed
to hold a Mikey Gilly's schooner of a rum punch and tipped my huge glass
at the state trooper to the right of me. He just grinned.

Even the local radio station had the "freeway ballet" where everyone
listening would be directed to flash their headlights or turn on
windshield wipers for 5 seconds in unison. A beer or two helped, making
the freeway a huge moving block party. Driving drunk would still get you
locked up for real though.

Then Kathy Witmire (Tootsie) was elected as Mayor and wrecked the place,
making open containers illegal. That was when the shootings started on
the highways on the sober (and now angry) trek home. I'll take a driver
with one beer over a driver with a hand gun any day, especially in
Texas! :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html