[TriLUG] Recommendations for a systemd-less Linux distribution

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 15 21:47:03 EDT 2015

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015, Bill Farrow wrote:

> Have you tried Slackware ?

been using it since 1995. Patrick has not declared his stand on systemd as of
Aug 2014. He only makes releases every year or two, which means the current
version isn't systemd, but we don't know what the next one will be.

> You can use this search to get a list of distros that DONT have systemd:
> http://distrowatch.com/search.php?pkg=systemd&pkgver=-&distrorange=NotInAny#pkgsearch

how can there be so many distributions???

> It's a free world. I am developing a embedded platform with Debian
> 8.0, and systemd actually offers a few advantages. Sure did clean up
> some crappy init scripts for me.

I've never had any problem with init scripts. My main beaf is with code that
just won't compile

Isn't the problem going to be that if apache etc require systemd, that you'll
need a systemd machine?

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml