[TriLUG] Recommendations for a systemd-less Linux distribution

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 16 14:24:00 EDT 2015

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 21:28:36 -0400
Bill Farrow via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> It's a free world. I am developing a embedded platform with Debian
> 8.0, and systemd actually offers a few advantages. Sure did clean up
> some crappy init scripts for me.

Yes. Sysvinit and OpenRC have init scripts from hell. But runit, s6,
Epoch, and Suckless Init + Daemontools-encore + LittKit all would have
cleaned up those init scripts.

In discussing systemd, it's important to avoid the false choice of
systemd vs upstart vs sysvinit, because there are *a lot* more init
systems out there, and in my opinion, systemd, upstart and sysvinit are
three of the worst.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21