[TriLUG] Linux from scratch project?

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 10 11:20:28 EDT 2015

I tried it a few years ago and settled on a Gentoo installation instead.  I got as far as building the development environment and then starting to compile the main system.  If didn't really give me enough understanding in detail as it was really a follow the recipe system, but I did get a better use a if how the systems interact and how to customize the system and how the pieces interact. The LFS if I recall was also based around s very generic, plain vanilla, GNU oriented system, which may appeal to some.  Naturally, package management and updates could become a significant challenge and one might want to be careful about deploying such a system with exposure to the Internet.

I agree with another post that said that one should move away from Ubuntu if one wants to get into the system rather then have something that generally just works, but I also think that has its place too, such as a daily use system, even for the more advanced user.

Sent from my iPad