[TriLUG] Linux from scratch project?

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 10 11:52:38 EDT 2015

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:28:04 -0400
Jeremy Davis via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Has anyone tried Linux From Scratch? If so, I am curious how it
> worked out. It seems like that project would transform a GUI clicker
> into a command line expert.

I've never installed LFS, and I applaud you for wanting to learn more
of Linux internals.

I'd suggest that, before you bootstrap a system up from a compiler, you
get some experience messing around with a *simple* chroot install. The
one I recommend is Plop Linux:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/diy/plopinst.htm

Plop is also good for messing around with. For instance, I later
initted Plop with a combination of Suckless Init, daemontools-encore,
and LittKit. Rolling your own init gives you a whole new perspective.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust