[TriLUG] Linux from scratch project?

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 10 12:57:42 EDT 2015

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:

> If didn't really give me enough understanding in detail as it was really a
> follow the recipe system,

agree. You're basically doing what someone does when they build a distribution.
Presumably you could have a top Makefile than ran the whole thing.

It took a lot of time, particularly since I was on dialup at the time,
downloading and building. Initially I was interested in what was in each compile
and what things were doing, but after a while it became "let's just this thing
over with".

When I got to the init system I realised that it was almost certainly
incompatible with my Slackware setup. There was no information in LFS to let me
understand how the init worked, in a way that I could make it compatible with
Slackware. I would have to spend some time googling and spelunking. I already
had 2 weeks into the installation and could see no end to it. I gave up.

No, I didn't learn anything.

However if you did get it done, you would be guaranteed of having all the files
neccessary to make any changes you wanted and in principle you could understand
everything about your system.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml