[TriLUG] OT: Powerline networking recommendation

Ed Blackman via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 11 15:40:26 EDT 2015

I'm trying to get network connectivity to a corner of the house that's
not reliably covered by wifi, without going into the walls to run some
Cat 6.

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with powerline networking?  If
good, favorite brands/models?

I've learned enough to know that whether two outlets can be connected is
dependent on whether they're on the same "leg".  Is there an easy way to
determine whether the outlets I'd use are on the same leg before buying
the adapters?

The application is streaming video, so the powerline bandwidth doesn't
have to be very good to beat my cable modem, but I'm tired of flaky
connections so if it drops a lot of connections it won't be much
improvement.

--
Ed Blackman