[TriLUG] OT: Powerline networking recommendation

Scott Lambdin via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 11 15:52:46 EDT 2015

It worked fine for me back in the day. (the 10Mbit day)  Can't recall the
brand.  They were blue.

Not sure if there is and easier way, but if you run an extension cord you
should get 220VAC between different legs and ~0VAC on the same leg.

--Scott

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Ed Blackman via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
wrote:

> I'm trying to get network connectivity to a corner of the house that's not
> reliably covered by wifi, without going into the walls to run some Cat 6.
>
> Does anyone have good or bad experiences with powerline networking?  If
> good, favorite brands/models?
>
> I've learned enough to know that whether two outlets can be connected is
> dependent on whether they're on the same "leg".  Is there an easy way to
> determine whether the outlets I'd use are on the same leg before buying the
> adapters?
>
> The application is streaming video, so the powerline bandwidth doesn't
> have to be very good to beat my cable modem, but I'm tired of flaky
> connections so if it drops a lot of connections it won't be much
> improvement.
>
> --
> Ed Blackman
> --