[TriLUG] OT: Powerline networking recommendation

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 11 16:23:38 EDT 2015

On 9/11/2015 3:40 PM, Ed Blackman via TriLUG wrote:
> I've learned enough to know that whether two outlets can be connected is
> dependent on whether they're on the same "leg".  Is there an easy way to
> determine whether the outlets I'd use are on the same leg before buying
> the adapters?

Scott's suggestion is the sure-fire way (run an extension cord and check
the voltage between the two; 0V == joy), but if you don't have one
that'll reach, you can make an educated guess by looking at your breaker
panel.

Again, this is only *typical*, as breaker panel configurations vary.

*DO NOT OPEN THE BREAKER BOX* (unless you're duly experienced)

Most household breaker boxes are arranged in two columns, and the phases
(legs) are distributed like so:

A B
B A
A B
B A
A B

Find the breakers for the two outlets and you should be able to guess
which phase each is on.  Note that the wide 220V breakers indeed take
two spaces (which is how they get 220V).

If you find out your outlets are on different phases, there are
phase-bridging devices available that a qualified electrician can
install, which allow high-frequency data signals to pass across from one
phase to the other, but block steady current.

HTH,
-Brian