[TriLUG] blocking outbound port 22

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Oct 8 10:44:21 EDT 2015

This sounds like a perfect place to test the application Corkscrew:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/using-corkscrew-to-tunnel-ssh-over-http/

" If you are in an environment that disallows the use of SSH and forces
the use of an HTTP proxy, it is possible to use that HTTP proxy as a
transport for SSH."

I worked at a place that was absurdly totalitarian with regards to their
web proxy.  As a design engineer I would frequently research technical
information and they would even block categorically university sites,
where you can get a lot of technical papers, as "educational sites
prohibited".

Using SSH to tunnel out of there was the quick and obvious answer.

Blocking port 22 simply makes the case for moving SSH to a non standard
port, the old security through obscurity line.