[TriLUG] I just got my 15 minutes of fame

Gregory Woodbury via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 26 00:55:14 EDT 2015

That "rant" is so Apple that it makes me wanna piss (like apple juice.)

The Apple world folks that I deal with are so clueless about what is
underneath their neat GUI that
they think anything UN*X-y is arcane or occult knowledge.  They don't
even realize that their beloved
systems are totally dependent on all sorts of tools and programs that
were not Apple developed.

Linux just happens to require that the users understand what their
systems are doing in
order to get the most benefit from them.

I happen to really dislike systemd for a variety of reasons, mostly
that it shoves it tentacles so far
into places that it doesn't belong, that once it infects a
distribution one loses much of the control that
the init system is supposed to grant.  Additionally, the attitudes of
the systemd developers are
getting more and more like that of microsloth: "We know what you need
and this is how it must be done."

As a contractor at Holmdel in 1981, I worked a lot on what became the
SysV init system, and
some of the choices that limit it today are simply a result of the
time that it was developed. CPUs
were slower and programming techniques were not as advanced as today
-- so we punted some
things to the administrator's brain rather than spend 5 minutes
figuring out a complex set
of dependencies.  OpenRC and other modern non-systemd init systems are
closer to the original
*NIX philosophy of a program doing one thing and doing it well, rather
than one program to rule them all
and in the darkness bind them.

The only thing I look at the cron manpage for is to remind myself
which order the time fields are in
when I have to write a crontab from scratch.

BTW, I bacame a *NIX guru very early on (circa 1977) and never even
realized it until the early 1990's.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
redwolfe at gmail.com