[TriLUG] I just got my 15 minutes of fame

Brian Weaver via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 26 08:16:51 EDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 12:55 AM, Gregory Woodbury via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> The Apple world folks that I deal with are so clueless about what is
> underneath their neat GUI that
> they think anything UN*X-y is arcane or occult knowledge.  They don't
> even realize that their beloved
> systems are totally dependent on all sorts of tools and programs that
> were not Apple developed.

I actually use OS X daily and actually prefer it's UI to Gnome, KDE and
other Linux graphical interfaces. My introduction to Unix was compiling
X-Windows on DG-UX back in 1991. I admin DEC Ultrix boxes and my first job
was programming in Motif on HPUX.

So while my nickname might be CmdrClueless I think I have more than a small
clue about the origin of many of the tools used on OS X. Most of the people
I work with, and have worked with, who use Apple's products are also in the
"know".

I'd grant you that the vast majority of those using Apple's products are
blissfully ignorant of the history under the hood. Of course how would you
feel if picked up a hammer to tap in a loose nail only to be chastised by a
carpenter. He might think you  an idiot because you don't know the
"history" of the hammer, nail, the various types of modern glues, and the
history of lumber. Or it might be as simple as how you hold the hammer.

And finally, that author of the blog that started this whole thread might
be a complete fool. I wouldn't know cause the blog falls under TL;DR.

--

/* insert witty comment here */