[TriLUG] Wifi Bridge

Bill Farrow via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Oct 28 12:58:37 EDT 2015

Lots of great ideas here. Let me answer some of them in a single email.

Netgear EX6100 "range extender". This class of device receives wifi
packets and re-broadcasts them. They have a single transceiver
connected to 2 antennas for diversity. Some are smart enough to not
rebroadcast packets that have already been acknowledged. If a device
is out of range, it will always rebroadcast. The primary concern with
this type of device is degradation of the free wifi service for
everyone else.

Sticking one antenna outside will unbalance the antenna diversity
circuitry, causing one antenna to be automatically switched off.

OpenWRT. I am well versed in building and customizing OpenWRT for
routers. I didn't mention this in my original email because I was
hoping for an off the shelf solution.

Esteem wireless modems - I don't think they solve my problem, and they
are pricey.

Ethernet over powerline does not solve the problem. I can run cat5e
through the shed wall, but I still need to connect to the "Free Wifi"
outside.

Thanks,
Bill