[TriLUG] TPP could invalidate the GPL

Roger Broseus via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Nov 6 16:24:52 EST 2015

Maybe I'm too logical but if not closed and license leaves the code an open book, *requires* it, I don't see a problem. Sends like the aim is to protect proprietary code. Prevent reverse engineering, etc. I read the article as somewhat of an anti-Obama rant. And I'm NOT trolling!

On November 6, 2015 4:13:39 PM EST, Bill Farrow via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Roger Broseus <RogerB at bronord.com>
>wrote:
>> It's not clear to me, after reading the post, what the rationale is
>that
>> says the TPP is bad for open source and/or FOSS
>>
>>> "No Party shall require the transfer of, or access to, source code
>of
>>> software owned by a person of another Party, as a condition for the
>>> import, distribution, sale or use of such software, or of products
>>> containing such software, in its territory."
>>>   http://keionline.org/node/2363
>
>The GPL requires that the recipients have access to source code. If
>the TPP says that you can't require access to the source code, then
>the terms of the GPL would not be met and the recipient would not have
>a license to use the copyrighted work.
>
>Please correct me if I am wrong here. I would love to see a logical
>decomposition that arrives at a different conclusion.
>

>Bill
>--
>This message was sent to: Roger <rogerb at bronord.com>

Roger Broseus
www.bronord.com
(This email was composed on an Android device. Please excuse predictive-text induced tiepos.)