[TriLUG] Compiling PHP

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 3 12:20:47 EST 2015

Folks,

In my "spare time" over the past few days, I have been trying to upgrade
PHP in an old CentOS machine ( 5.X ), from ancient to old, without
touching anything more than necessary.

I looked at yum and it told me that there were "php" packages as well as
"php53" packages.  Since PHP 5.3 was what I wanted, I tried installing
that, but things didn't go well, and I wound up with more failure than
success.

Because of that, I went to the PHP site and downloaded the source
tarball.

Unpacking that, everything looks familiar, although it has been a while
since I last compiled something to install.

I ran "configure" and it goes well, until it gets to MySQL, where it
reports:

checking for MSSQL support via FreeTDS... no
checking for MySQL support... yes
checking for specified location of the MySQL UNIX socket...
/var/lib/mysql/
checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_error in -lmysqlclient... no

I went through the configure log and configure script itself, and
confirmed that both /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h and
/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.x exist, but don't know where to go from
here.

I tried downloading the MySQL source code from that site, but it turned
out to be more of a binary than source.  It still didn't seem to be any
different than what I already had.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Brian