[TriLUG] Compiling PHP

Michael Kimsal via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 3 13:16:42 EST 2015

Without derailing this too much, is there a reason you want PHP5.3
specifically?

Also, you mentioned compiling - any specific reason why, vs just using RPMs?

The 'remi' and 'epel' repositories, together, might work (if RPMs are
viable)

http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Brian McCullough via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> In my "spare time" over the past few days, I have been trying to upgrade
> PHP in an old CentOS machine ( 5.X ), from ancient to old, without
> touching anything more than necessary.
>
> I looked at yum and it told me that there were "php" packages as well as
> "php53" packages.  Since PHP 5.3 was what I wanted, I tried installing
> that, but things didn't go well, and I wound up with more failure than
> success.
>
> Because of that, I went to the PHP site and downloaded the source
> tarball.
>
> Unpacking that, everything looks familiar, although it has been a while
> since I last compiled something to install.
>
> I ran "configure" and it goes well, until it gets to MySQL, where it
> reports:
>
> checking for MSSQL support via FreeTDS... no
> checking for MySQL support... yes
> checking for specified location of the MySQL UNIX socket...
> /var/lib/mysql/
> checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for mysql_error in -lmysqlclient... no
>

> I went through the configure log and configure script itself, and
> confirmed that both /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h and
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.x exist, but don't know where to go from
> here.
>
> I tried downloading the MySQL source code from that site, but it turned
> out to be more of a binary than source.  It still didn't seem to be any
> different than what I already had.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Thank you,
> Brian