[TriLUG] Compiling PHP

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 3 15:11:54 EST 2015

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:16:42PM -0500, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> Without derailing this too much, is there a reason you want PHP5.3
> specifically?

Only that it was the next "major" version higher than what was already
in the machine, and that it matches the "production" machine ( this is
Dev ), and that this all started when I tried to use some PHP library
code that uses the "new" namespace technology, which 5.2 doesn't
understand.

I hadn't been carefully keeping track when the new production machine
was built for me a year or more ago, and didn't know that that machine
was at 5.3 while my dev machine was running 5.2.  Most, or all, of the
code still continued to execute on both machines in the same way.

I have been coming to the conclusion that I might be better off just
trying to start from scratch and building a CentOS 6.5 machine to match
the production one.  In my conversation with the sysadmins of that
machine, they said that they don't use RPMs for PHP, but install it from
the PHP site. ( from source? don't remember )  I do find a note in YUM's
list for MySQL, however.

> Also, you mentioned compiling - any specific reason why, vs just using RPMs?

As I said, I had tried to use the RPMs with YUM, but had run into
conflicts.  I don't remember precisely, since it was a week or so ago,
but as I think I remember, I was having, among others, similar conflicts
between PHP and MySQL, just in different ways, because of them being
packaged.

> The 'remi' and 'epel' repositories, together, might work (if RPMs are
> viable)
>
> http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en

Thanks,
Brian