[TriLUG] Compiling PHP

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 3 14:06:03 EST 2015

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015, Brian McCullough via TriLUG wrote:

> I ran "configure" and it goes well, until it gets to MySQL, where it
> reports:
>
> checking for MSSQL support via FreeTDS... no
> checking for MySQL support... yes
> checking for specified location of the MySQL UNIX socket...
> /var/lib/mysql/
> checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient... no

this means a test piece of code, generated by configure, with a call to
mysql_close() failed. It does not neccessarily mean that there is no
mysql_close() in libmysqlclient. You need to run by hand the piece of code and
see why it failed. It's possible that some other dependency is not satisfied.

You can find the piece of test code with

sh -x configure --prefix=/usr .... > foo.out 2>&1

and spelunk the output for mysql_close()

> checking for mysql_error in -lmysqlclient... no
>

> I went through the configure log and configure script itself, and
> confirmed that both /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h and
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.x exist, but don't know where to go from
> here.
>
> I tried downloading the MySQL source code from that site, but it turned
> out to be more of a binary than source.  It still didn't seem to be any
> different than what I already had.

assuming this is true, it is most likely that you'll have to recursively
download the internet and compile it (and install binaries) to satisfy the
dependencies. You will eventually get to a spot that you can't compile, no
matter what and you'll find that a lot of your currently working packages no
longer work anymore. I would suggest taking an image of your setup first in case
this happens. Over the last 20yrs of Linux, I've found that once your distro is
too old, it cannot be upgraded anymore. You have to start with a fresh version
of the distro and start as if from a new install. Do you really need the new php
on this machine that badly?

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml