[TriLUG] Dropbox and folders (directories)

Thomas Delrue via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Feb 11 09:23:03 EST 2016

I don't know how DropBox deals with symbolic links but assuming it is
dumb:

~/Documents
	+- files_1
		+- A.odt
		+- B.cxx
	+- files_2
		+- C.py
		+- D.log
~/DropBox
	+- SafeGuard
		+- One (symlink to ~/Documents/files_1)
		+- two (symlink to ~/Documents/files_2)

DropBox will now see everything in files_1 and files_2 and sync it up to
its body of water vapor.

Again, assuming DB is dumb and just copies everything it finds (why
wouldn't it), this way you have your '2' copies: one on your disk and
one in your drop box (which really are the same) and you can lose either
without losing the data.

This way you don't have to do your double-bookkeeping/tracking (just
work with any file, it's just a single extent anyway) _and_ you don't
store the files twice.