[TriLUG] Looking for a start

Jeremy Davis via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Mar 23 21:55:23 EDT 2016

Aaron,

Networking leads to opportunities. If you want to amplify your connections,
volunteer with local open source events and groups. It gets you into
conferences for free and you will be working in direct contact with
speakers, vendors, community organizers, and sponsors. Most event sponsors
are recruiters for prominent companies or IT staffing agencies.
Volunteering will beef up your LinkedIn profile in a hurry.

http://citycampnc.org/
Jason Hibbetts from RedHat is one of the lead organizers for City Camp NC.
He started opensource.com and is very active in the community. CityCamp
starts off with BarCamp style talks and ends with a mashup hackathon to
develop a new app to benefit the city of Raleigh. You could probably attend
City Camp NC planning committee meetings, as well as the event, to network
with some excellent people and civic hackers.

http://www.southeastlinuxfest.org/
SELF is the major Linux event for our region.

http://allthingsopen.org/
You should certainly attend All Things Open. If you want to volunteer for
this event, let me know and I will introduce you to the Todd Lewis the lead
organizer.

Join the Mil-OSS mailing list. They do great things to bring open source
software up to DOD standards. You might consider attending the upcoming
hackaton event Mil-OSS is hosting with the Special Operations Command and
CENTCOM. http://www.mil-oss.org/

Semper Fi Web Design is here in the Triangle. You might reach out to the
founder Michael Torbert who is prior USMC. He is a Linux guru and created
the world's most downloaded WordPress plugin. As the WordPress Raleigh
conference organizer, he is well connected and may also help you find leads.

One good thing about being prior USMC, after risking years of your life for
freedom, advocating for software freedom will be a natural act. Other than
myself, I have never seen a jarhead on the TriLUG list. Welcome, Semper Fi,
and good luck.

Jeremy Davis
TriLUG PR
linkedin.com/in/jeremydavisprofile

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Aaron Cody Weaver via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> I am having some issues with my career path.
> >I am a USMC veteran
> >5 yrs of Network admin/System Admin (75%win/25%Linux) experience.
> >I have A+,Net+, and Sec+
>
> I am studying for my LPIC and RHCSA. I am looking for an opportunity jr.
> Linux System Admin, but I don't seem to many of these postings. What and
> where should I be looking. Anyone know of any options? or have any ideas of
> what I could do next.
>
> Thanks
> --Cody
> --