[TriLUG] Looking for a start

Kristopher Kane via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Mar 23 20:28:20 EDT 2016

You already have one strike against you... jar.   :-)

I was in the Army for eight years, 21 days ending 2009, all at Bragg.  A
mixture of Infantry and Army IT.

Nobody is going to care about your CompTIAs.  Nobody cared about my RHCE.

You likely already have the skill that is going to get you hired: your
ability to communicate effectively.  Attempt to get all interviews in
person and be a soft spoken jar.

You didn't mention the skill that is going to set you apart from your
peers.  That is the ability to write software to enhance the productivity
of your day job.  I'm not talking about writing MapReduce in a Hadoop
cluster. I'm talking about not being the person who manually connects to
150 nodes to run the same copy command.

If you feel you lack time in industry and still have a clearance, Linux
knowledge will already set you apart within the DoD.  Uncle Sugar loves
some talented Linux admins.

Every job posting is over the top in candidate requirements.  Every job.
With that said, make sure you are applying for a job that is harder than
you think you can do.  You will surprise yourself once you get there.  Some
of those surprises require you to drink a lot of coffee and stay up late
but that JR admin opportunity will seem very junior very fast.

Once you get there...  the moment you feel complacent it is time to go.
Your Corps loyalty may hurt you out here and it will take a few years to
get over not being everything to everyone all the time.  Under Army terms I
was old when I got out but under civilian terms I was young.  Don't waste
time not learning both on and off the job.

Kris