[TriLUG] Tablet Recommendations

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 2 11:49:09 EDT 2016

I am a Linux Nut Case and I even bought the Motorola Xoom, which was the first Android Tablet that Google developed Android for a tablet, because I refused to purchase an iPad that you could not even develop software for your own purposes. I am still waiting for the Ubuntu tablet to mature and it has a long way to go. But that will be my next tablet purchase. So it is within this history that I tell you that an outstanding tablet in my mind is the Windows Surface. It has a great user experience and is very versatile. It follows the Windows mantra of optimized productivity. If money is not the issue, and the user is not a computer geek like me, I would steer them to the Windows Surface. However, if they are App junkies and not looking for productivity, definitely go the Android route. I am personally a Samsung fan, so just look at the latest offerings. If cost is the driver, many people I know really like the Amazon option. I do not. Too much of a sales tool for me. I prefer regular android interface. I would steer way clear of the Ubuntu offering. Expect big problems for non-sys admin users.
My two cents worth half a pence on a good day `,~)