[TriLUG] Request for help: residential internet service provider options.

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 25 10:58:50 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 09:31:42AM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> I'm in a monopoly-provider location (Windstream DSL on the Hwy 42-side of
> Harris Lake) and for the past two weeks I've been seeing 20-30% packet loss
> (for pings to their DNS server).

Cutting off the rest.

Just for giggles, have you tried any other DNS servers, for comparison?

I might suggest 8.8.4.4, one of Google's main addresses.

Incidentally, although I didn't do any exhaustive testing such as you
are, I was very satisfied with my BellSouth DSL service, after they
finally fixed the drop from the pole.  Unfortunately, I have been less
than completely happy since they forced me to get U-Verse instead, over
the same copper.

Brian