[TriLUG] Request for help: residential internet service provider options.

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 25 12:45:05 EDT 2016

On Wed, 25 May 2016, David Burton via TriLUG wrote:

>> I'm looking for feedback/ideas from the TriLUG community.
.
.
> Steve, this is my suggestion:
>
> On a sunny day, drag an extension cord and your DSL modem outside to the NID
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_device>, which is probably
> on the side of your house. Open the NID, and unplug "the house" in the NID,
> and plug in your DSL modem, alone, in place of "the house," using a short
> phone wire. Connect a computer to the modem and do a ping test.

I had similar thoughts, except his problem goes away (mostly) in banker's hours.

I had a burglar alarm in the house, which I wasn't using (I could never figure
out how to use it and turned it off). Something I didn't realise was that the
buglar alarm was in series with the house phone lines and when after a few years
the burglar alarm decided to die, none of the phones worked anymore. On the
downslope, I was getting ping losses like you describe. As well the ISP had
problems so that I wouldn't get DSL for a couple of days (and then it would come
back) but I'd still have phone. I paid the phone co (Frontier) for their
internal wiring checkup for someone to comeout and look. He figured that the
problem with the DSL was back at the exchange (or whatever it's called
nowadays), and he moved my DSL onto another card (telling me that everyone else
on that bank of cards would have been getting the same bad service). I cancelled
the internal wiring contract and eventually figured out how the house was wired.

(The burglar alarm was on the 2nd pair into the house. I forget exactly how it
was done, but the first pair was connected into the burglar alarm. It was really
crazy).

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml