[TriLUG] Request for help: residential internet service provider options.

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 25 12:29:02 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Steve Holton via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
 wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I'm in a monopoly-provider location (Windstream DSL on the Hwy 42-side of
> Harris Lake) and for the past two weeks I've been seeing 20-30% packet loss
> (for pings to their DNS server).
>
> I'm looking for feedback/ideas from the TriLUG community.

Steve, this is my suggestion:

On a sunny day, drag an extension cord and your DSL modem outside to the NID
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_device>, which is probably
on the side of your house. Open the NID, and unplug "the house" in the NID,
and plug in your DSL modem, alone, in place of "the house," using a short
phone wire. Connect a computer to the modem and do a ping test.

If the problem is NOT solved, then it's Windstream's fault. Call them up,
tell them what you've done, and tell them to fix it.

If the problem IS solved, then you have an inside wiring issue. It's a
matter of trial and error to track it down. Or you could simply run a new,
fresh "home run <http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dsl+(%22home+run%22+OR+homerun)>"
wire from the NID to your modem.

If you also use the wire for POTS (voice) then you'll need to put a
splitter/filter <http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dsl-splitter> in the NID, and plug
"the house" into the filtered side of the splitter, and plug the homerun
wire into the unfiltered "DSL" side of the splitter. Official word is that
you need a fancy, weatherproof, outdoor splitter/filter, but you don't
really. Just use any old indoor splitter/filter, and make sure that it fits
inside the NID and stays dry. I ran that way for years. Treat the contacts
with contact cleaner/protectant
<http://store.caig.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.1977/KB.215/.f> for longevity,
if you wish.

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM, Thomas Delrue via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> If you're even remotely interested in retaining privacy or are concerned
> about privacy in any way, I strongly advise *against* using Google's DNS
> servers.
> They already have enough dirt on anyone they want, there's really no
> need to actively help them. (something something ... not paying for
> product... something something)

Thomas, is there any evidence that Google actually records DNS lookups?
That would require accumulating a gargantuan amount of data, and Google
claims that they don't
<https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy> do it.

Dave