[TriLUG] Changing DNS Servers (was Request for help: residential internet service provider options.)

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 25 16:19:13 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Scott Chilcote via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> Folks on StackExchange think that dnsmasq.conf is a good way to do it:
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/128220/how-do-i-set-my-dns-when-resolv-conf-is-being-overwritten

      As Roger said, Ubuntu likes /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/. I
myself have used that in conjunction with network manager and it
worked. With that said, if you use systemd you can also configure it
that way

> What works for my home network is to put the DNS entries into the DHCP
> server settings of my broadband router.  This only works for DHCP
> clients though (i.e. not for static configurations).

      And that is why ansible/chef/puppet exist. ;) With that said,
just have them use a local something for dns/ntp; it can then worry
about the ever-changing dns info from your ISP while providing the
local static and dhcp stuff.

      Now if I can do my Microsoft sucks comment of the day, it suc..
er is annoying that windows will not get ntp info from dhcp. I think
it will also cheerfully ignore dns, but I hope I am wrong...