[TriLUG] OT Keyboards

Eric Garver via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun May 29 14:33:47 EDT 2016

> The Das keyboard appears to be mechanical, and should be tougher right?

Yes it's mechanical.
In general mechanicals will be more expensive, but hold up much longer
and provide a better typing experience.

I've been using a TECK [0] for almost 4 years - which has served me
well. It's still in great shape. However, its pretty pricey and has a
semi-abnormal layout. I find "split" keyboard to be more comfortable.

There are many "build your owns" depending on how serious you are, e.g.
ergodox [1]. Massdrop occasionally has ergodox kits that include
everything you need to build one.

In addition there have been kickstarters for high quality and hackable
keyboards, e.g. UHK [2]. This is the one I'm most excited about and may
replace my TECK with it someday.

If you're looking for something more ergonomic you should look at
Kinesis keyboards. If you want a cheap, ergonomic keyboard without a
number pad you can take a Microsoft Elite [3] and saw the numberpad off.
That's what I used for years before I bought my TECK. Although Elites
seem harder to come by now.

FWIW, I'm a developer and a gamer. Many days I'm in front of a computer
for 12 hours a day.

[0] https://trulyergonomic.com/store/index.php
[1] http://ergodox.org/
[2] https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/