[TriLUG] Changing DNS Servers (was Request for help: residential internet service provider options.)

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 30 11:34:14 EDT 2016

> Resolv.conf is no longer a static file and gets re-written by the system.

This depends.

If you have the "resolvconf" package installed, or if you are running
network-manager, then this file might get overwritten.  If not, then the
file stays put.

There are several ways to configure DNS, and it's super flexible (and
therefore confusing).

I have both dnsmasq and unbound running on my router.  Dnsmasq is a
local DHCP server and a caching DNS server, and it forwards any cache
misses to an upstream DNS server.  For the truly paranoid, unbound is a
recursive DNS server that does the name lookups itself.

So there might be a few places you can set your nameserver that will
affect the /etc/resolv.conf file:
  - /etc/resolv.conf itself, if you do not have something that overwrites it
  - /etc/resolvconf/*, which allows packages like unbound and dnsmasq to
plug entries in
  - /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf - try the "supersede domain-name-servers" option
  - /etc/network/interfaces can have entries that will affect
/etc/resolv.conf

Alan