[TriLUG] outgoing mail problem on pilot

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jun 4 22:54:56 EDT 2016

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:

> This is for one of the sysadmins on pilot:
>
> I just sent an e-mail to the problem report form on pilot. On pressing submit
> I got "you have been banned from posting"
>
> The original problem: I use alpine on pilot for mail.
>
> Just now I got a TLS error on attempting to send. The error message said that
> this is normal (if it is, it hasn't happened before) that alpine was
> misconfigured and to change the name of the mailserver to
> "mail.trilug.org/notls". I changed the outgoing mailserver string from
> "mail.trilug.org/ssl" to the above string. Then on sending e-mail I got
> "invalid servername". I changed the name back (at least I thought I did) and
> got the "invalid servername" error again (and not the invalid TLS error), so
> maybe there's something wrong with the servername still.

I uploaded my old .pinerc file and am now getting the TLS error again

"
There was an SSL/TLS failure for the server

                                                            mail.trilug.org

The reason for the failure was

                                                        SSL negotiation failed

This is just an informational message. With the current setup, SSL/TLS will not
work. If this error re-occurs every time you run Alpine, your current setup is
not compatible with the configuration of your mail server. You may want to add
the option

                                                                /notls

to the name of the mail server you are attempting to access. In other words,
wherever you see the characters

                                                            mail.trilug.org

in your configuration, replace those characters with

                                                         mail.trilug.org/notls

Type RETURN to continue.
"

Now I just need the TLS error fixed.

Thanks

Joe

> Can you fix the TLS error and the servername error please?
>
> Thanks Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml