[TriLUG] Interior security camera

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 28 12:14:43 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:01:02PM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> The Pi is a consideration, my only concern was whether or not the camera has high enough definition. I have enough experience with the Pi (I'd use a Pi 3) to set it up.?? The problem we are facing is that we think one of the cashiers is skimming money and can't prove it without evidence.?? Finding a suitable enclosure will be the next issue.

With that issue, do you want something obvious, as has been discussed
already?

That may stop this problem for a while, until somebody decides to take
the camera away, but will it solve it?

If you really want "evidence" of this sort, I would suggest that you
want something that either looks like something else completely
innocuous, or is completely hidden.

Something like those "nanny-cams" comes to mind.

This might also be a good argument for the Pi, as long as, as you say,
the resolution is sufficient, or a different camera also attached to the
Pi.

Then, unless you already have random electronic equipment lying around
the office, and can just put the Pi and camera amongst that, you need to
find a time when NOBODY else is around and a place to put it where it
can both not be seen and can see what it needs to see, clearly, during
normal operations and movement.

Quite a tall order, I suspect.

Brian