[TriLUG] Interior security camera

Charles Fischer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 28 13:22:01 EDT 2016

Well this camera is only 720p, but it is cheap and easy:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1174598-REG/optex_watchman_outdoor_battery_powered_camera.html

No computer connection needed.

There are a lot of surveillance cameras that have SD memory cards.  These
have the advantage of not needing a connection to anything but power.  Some
are easy to hide, others are a visible deterrent.

On the Linux side.  20 years ago I used Video4Linux and some proprietary
image processing software to do motion capture using a gray scale camera
running 640x480 pixels at 30 FPS.  The true capture and process rate was
about 7.5 FPS.  It took all of a day to get it working.  Today, I would use
OpenCV and expect about 10 FPS at 1080p in color.

Good luck,
Charles Fischer