[TriLUG] Feedback on your favorite Linux distro on a Chromebook

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Aug 3 12:36:51 EDT 2016

Greetings all,

Time to do the laptop shuffle at home (giving my MacBook pro to my wife) and am hoping I can switch over to a Chromebook instead of buying another >$2K-$3K Mac.  I love the Mac - it fits really well for my workflow - especially the shortcut keys (love spotlight).  However, I often find myself doing things that don’t require that much horsepower or special applications my laptop provides.  My typical night involves lots of terminal stuff (ssh, sftp, etc), VNC/RDP, email, general browsing, etc.  Not heavy on any office-type apps (leave that to the day-job laptop), and I have a real desktop for any heavy-lifting work.

Looking for feedback on your favorite Linux distro on a Chrome Book.  Why did you choose it, and how well does it work on your Chrome Book.  For the record, I am looking at getting the Toshiba Chromebook 2 - 2015 Edition (CB35-C3350) and installing either Crouton or ElementaryOS.

Thanks.

-Ron