[TriLUG] Feedback on your favorite Linux distro on a Chromebook

James Whisnant via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Aug 3 13:55:43 EDT 2016

I have been happy using Crouton on my Chromebook.  I have not used
ElementaryOS before (on any system).  My chromebook is an Acer Chromebook
15 C910-C37P 16-Inch Chromebook (1.5 GHz Intel Celeron 3205U Dual-core
processor, 4GB memory, 32GB SSD, Chrome OS).  I have been very happy with
the large screen and the long battery life.

I use crouton with Ubuntu 14.04 and LXDE. I chose this distro mostly
because it was the latest stable, and I am more accustomed to Ubuntu. I
mostly use terminal apps in Linux as well. It works well for me. I noticed
the CB35-C3350 has 16 GB SSD; you may want 32GB if you are considering
crouton.

The advantages of crouton I see :

1) easy installation - it is a shell script

2) easy to configure multiple chroots and multiple desktop environments and
modify them with a simple script

3) I can run Chrome OS and Linux distribution(s) at the same time - and
switch between them easily.

4) Easy to backup your environment to an SD card. I recommend this! I
crashed by Ubuntu VM. I think I ran out memory testing some of the code I
had written. When it rebooted, the OS thought it was in a "broken" state.
The solution is to powerwash the system on boot to get a working laptop
again. As far as I know, there is no way to interrupt this at boot. It is
equivalent to a factory reset. Which will delete all non-Chrome OS files.
So all of your crouton chroots will be deleted. A powerwash might delete
files if you have a dual-boot setup (using something other than crouton)
and something goes "horribly wrong". This is a danger of Developer Mode.

5) You can run a chroot from an external SD card. I have found this to be
too slow, personally.

6) You can move a saved environment from an external SD card back to SSD
easily.

James