[TriLUG] Instructional Video Capture Software

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Aug 15 08:01:28 EDT 2016

Hi LUGgers,

Many thanks to everyone for the great advice.  Here's a quick summary of
where I've wound up.

Besides all of the great advice in this thread, I found the wikipedia
page comparing video capture (or screencasting) programs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_screencasting_software

And the wikipedia page comparing video editing tools:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software
To be extremely helpful.

Since I have access to multiple systems for work, I am using monosnap on
the Mac ($Free) for video and still image capturing.  I like it because
it has some basic editing features like the ability to add callouts and
arrows to images.  I also liked OBS (open broadcaster software) on
Linux, and could have easily used LibreOffice Presents or another image
(or slide) editor to do the same.  It's just a little faster to get it
done in monosnap.

For video editing, I'm using OpenShot (multi-platform).  It takes a
little effort to get up to speed, but I doubt it's any different for
other video editors.  I'm finding it super convenient for combining
still images (e.g. title screens, screen captures), short videos, and
audio clips together into a sequence to create a video tutorial.

You can do cool stuff like trim videos and change the duration that
still images are shown, directly in the timeline.  You can do a variety
of fades and transitions, and some special effects.  It has a couple of
shortcomings, one is that you can't record your audio while watching the
video take place.  You need to use a separate sound recorder and then
add your audio as separate track.  I found that it didn't take long to
get that to work though.

The second problem is more significant, I had OpenShot crash multiple
times while exporting my tutorial to mpeg.  After some tinkering, I
found that I needed to choose a more high-resolution format to get it to
finish.  Don't ask me why.  This was on MacOS as well, so YMMV.

Regardless of the quibbles, I'm happy.  This was a last minute
requirement, and the job's getting done.  I will be putting the makers
of OpenShot and Monosnap on my donation list this year.

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote
scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com