[TriLUG] OT: Yahoo Mail Weirdness, Web Client

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 23 17:07:53 EDT 2016

Hi LUGgers,

I've used yahoo mail for years for spam-attracting online business, as a
way to help keep it contained.  Like everyone else who uses it, I got
notification yesterday regarding their two year old breach.  I went
through the password and preferences changing process yesterday as a
precaution.

While checking my yahoo mail today I looked in my trash folder, and
found something disturbing.  Below the recent additions, I found a vast
number of old email messages.  They weren't there yesterday.  It looks
like the trash folder contains a copy of everything I have in my inbox,
going back many years.

I started moving some of the messages I wanted to keep back to the inbox
before I realized that there were so many.  Their scroll bar slowly
shrinks as you page down, so it doesn't give you an indication of how
many messages there are until you advance several page-fulls.

I spot checked a few of the old messages, and found them to be in my
inbox as well.

Last evening I took the precaution of popping down my yahoo mail (yeah,
lots) and now I'm glad I did.  I empty the trash can every time I read
mail online, so this isn't a case of not having looked lately.

I haven't emptied it this time because I'm not sure how it will affect
my inbox.

If anyone sees this problem, or has seen a link that mentions it I'd
appreciate knowing.

Thanks,

   Scott C.

--