[TriLUG] libvirt statistics error

Kevin Otte via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Sep 20 12:40:38 EDT 2016

My google-fu has let me down this week. /var/log/syslog on my main
hypervisor machine is full of these entries:

Sep 20 12:30:39 athens libvirtd[3202]: internal error: cannot find
statistics for device 'ide0-0-0'
Sep 20 12:30:39 athens collectd[24764]: libvirt: QEMU Driver error :
internal error: cannot find statistics for device 'ide0-0-0'

The logs fill even faster with these entries when running virt-top.

The only IDE devices defined on the VMs is the CD-ROM. There is one VM
where a CD-ROM never got defined and it shows I/O bytes in virt-top. The
rest show blanks in those columns.

So it seems the issue is related to how stats are (not) being collected
for virtual CD-ROM drives, but I'm not real sure what to do about it. I
suppose as a workaround I could go rip out all the virtual CD drives,
but it would be a bear to have to go define one again if I need it. A
proper solution would be to figure out if there's something funky with
the way I've defined the drives in libvirt, or if this really is a bug
how to characterize and file it.

Constructive ideas?

-- Kevin