[TriLUG] [TriEmbed] In Need of Job Advice

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Oct 23 21:02:20 EDT 2016

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016, Brian McCullough via TriLUG wrote:

> Unfortunately, the tax department doesn't see it the way that "normal" people
> would.
>
> By doing the work with an agreement to be paid, he has earned the income,
> whether it was paid or not.

there's two ways of accounting. It's explained in the self employeed tax form (I
think schedule C) notes, but I don't remember what they're called.

One of them depends on the amount of money you've actually received and spent.
This is the one I use, This is best for small businesses as you don't record
income or expenses till the money changes hands.

The other is what people promised to pay. eg you make a sale and you record the
money as income, even though you don't have the money in hand. If you wind up
not receiving the money, you then have to fill out another form saying you
didn't receive the money. This is the one big businesses, eg ENRON, use.

You pick the way you're going to do it and you can't change (well you can't
change easily.)

eg last year (2015) I earned some money but didn't receive the check till 31 Dec
after the bank closed. I deposited the check on the first day in jan that the
bank was open. It's in my bank statement as being deposited in 2016, even though
the job was done in 2015. I will be telling the IRS that I earned the money in
2016.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml