[TriLUG] new - old linux help

Greg Brown via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Nov 28 15:15:54 EST 2016

The Raspberry Pi is well-suited for most of this kind of thing.  I've used
model A, B, B+, 2, and 3 models for various thing.  Personally I would go
for a Raspberry Pi 3 (because of the integrated wifi).  Keep in mind you
will need a 3 amp 120 volt power supply for the Pi.

I've seen plenty of Pi-based network storage devices where people plug USB
drives into the Pi and then share them via whatever technology they want
(depending on the type of client connecting).  A quick google search for a
Pi-based storage guide leads me to here: http://www.howtogeek.
com/139433/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-
network-storage-device/

Using your Pi as the "home router" that performs call the DHCP and NAT
functions is a bit more difficult but it can be done, but I'm not sure you
would really want to.

As far as using air cards directly with the Pi I'm not sure how you would
accomplish that.  I set one up as a router a while back and loaded it with
three different SSID/Passphrase accounts to use as the WAN connection any
anytime the mobile hotspot became active it would start to use that
connection for its wan.

As far as a recommended OS I would go with Raspbian, personally though
there are many options.  I'm most familiar with Raspbian so I'm biased but
it is east to keep fully patched and there is a lot of software built into
the repositories that can be installed if needed.

Greg