[TriLUG] ATT fiber installed and gateway/routing problem

Christopher Merrill via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Dec 4 16:55:01 EST 2016

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 4:54 AM, David Burton via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
wrote:

BTW, that brings me to another couple of questions:

> *1.* I'm starting to see more and more home Internet services in which the
> "external IP" is actually a NAT'ed address like 192.168.0.85, from an
> upstream gateway somewhere. *Please* assure me that AT&T is *not* doing
> this with their fiber service!

No, they are not.

> *2.* How stable is your "dynamic" IP address with AT&T fiber? With TWC, my
> dynamic IP address doesn't change for many months on end. Even when they
> have one of their typical 2 a.m. half-hour outages (which are obviously
> planned, but which they *never* give advance notice of, despite my pleading
> for *years*, grrrr!), I usually get the same IP address back again. That is
> very helpful!

Good question. With UVerse it must have been reasonably stable. I've got a
DynDNS plugin on my Diskstation that updates the DNS entry for my personal
server automagically. But I have to manually update a few DNS entries that
point to another work-related server I have here and it has not changed in
the past 12 months with UVerse.

> *3.* What about IPv6? It doesn't work at my house, probably because version
> v.1.10 of the TL-WR1043ND, which is what I have, apparently doesn't support
> IPv6 <http://archive.is/pDBg3#selection-769.33-785.22>. (
> http://test-ipv6.com/ says Teredo is running.) But I'm starting to see
> IPv6
> actually work, some places!

I presume you get some (or at least one?) IPv6 address(es) with AT&T fiber?
> What does http://test-ipv6.com/ say about your connection? Do you have any
> idea whether it/they are static, or at least reasonably stable?

On the few occasions that I looked, it appeared that IPv6 was fully
suported with UVerse.

The test-ipv6.com site rated my current (ATT fiber) connection 10 out of
10, which I assume is as good as it gets :)

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-845-7601 x701                       |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services