[TriLUG] ATT gigabit internet quick review

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Dec 4 22:15:28 EST 2016

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 22:00:22 +0000
"Rogers, Matthew via TriLUG" <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> You can set a device in dmz plus mode which is basically a bridge
> mode.  I do this and run my own router and domain controller with
> dhcp/DNS etc.

For normal users though, ATT forcing only their own DNS servers means
that the ATT service is not an "Internet" but an "Intranet"  as ATT
also answers for non registered (or not yet registered) domains, they
can also decide to answer anything in any way they choose and normal
users would not know.

For example they could answer questions for insert-name-here.com as
att.com, or just say "not found" - normal users would be clueless.

When providers interfere and control the Internet egress to this degree
- it is no longer an 'internet' (its like the Intranet in China where
users also have to do some interesting routing to be able to have
some temporary privacy)

Main reason I am asking is that Brighthouse (Time Warner) is now also
ATT and T Warner supplies actual/real Internet, so wondering if that is
gonna change with the next router update, etc.