[TriLUG] OpenVPN and CentOS 6

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 15 11:45:16 EST 2016

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016, Brian McCullough via TriLUG wrote:

> I should have asked here a long time ago ( at least a week! ), but
> better late....

It took me about a week to get openvpn going.

> I am running into an issue where the tun0 device is missing.  Of course,
> when OpenVPN ( which I installed with yum ) tries to start, it fails.

Echoing Stephen, have you done

modprobe tun

?

> When I look at /dev, there are none, but in /dev/net, there is a tun
> device.

ethernet devices (eg eth0) aren't in /dev either

I have a binary (where it came from I don't know) called tunctl. From my notes I
used it when messing around. It's not part of the scripts I use to invoke
openvpnd

To scan server from client

nmap -sU -p 1194 50.55.x.x

#to turn on tun? device
# Set 'tun0' persistent and owned by uid 0
tunctl -u root -t tun0

#then when finished do
#Set 'tun0' nonpersistent
tunctl -d tun0

Joe
jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml