[TriLUG] OpenVPN and CentOS 6

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 15 15:44:30 EST 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 04:45:16PM +0000, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2016, Brian McCullough via TriLUG wrote:
>
> >I should have asked here a long time ago ( at least a week! ), but
> >better late....
>
> It took me about a week to get openvpn going.

On Debian-derived machines, acting as clients, as I want this one to, it
takes me perhaps 10 minutes.

> >I am running into an issue where the tun0 device is missing.  Of course,
> >when OpenVPN ( which I installed with yum ) tries to start, it fails.
>
> Echoing Stephen, have you done
>
> modprobe tun

Yes, but it has no visible effect.  lsmod shows a couple of entries.

> >When I look at /dev, there are none, but in /dev/net, there is a tun
> >device.
>
> ethernet devices (eg eth0) aren't in /dev either
>
> I have a binary (where it came from I don't know) called tunctl. From my
> notes I used it when messing around. It's not part of the scripts I use to
> invoke openvpnd

Probably another package.  I don't have it on this machine.

> To scan server from client
>
> nmap -sU -p 1194 50.55.x.x

Hmmm.  Yes, I have nmap, use it a lot, but without the tun device,
OpenVPN doesn't even start.

I tried adding the make-tun command to my client configuration file, and
it seemed to have some effect, but also seems to completely short-cut
the startup.  That happens, but nothing else.

Hmmm, again.  I should try running OpenVPN by hand, instead of using
"service start."

Nope.  That's all.  It makes a new tun device, but nothing else.