[TriLUG] ATT gigabit internet quick review

Rogers, Matthew via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 15 16:22:43 EST 2016

I use a router and do DMZ plus. So their NAT table limit doesn't impact me.  ATT has been flawless for the past year and I haven’t ever had an outage.  It's funny, but it worked during the hurricane once I power up the equipment with my generator where my neighbors TWC was out when they powered there's up from generator.

I had it installed and have 0 problems (had it about a year.)  I had frequent problems with TWC previously with their top tier solution.  I run smokeping and some other network monitoring tools and can PROVE it was TWC.  TWC would do some weird routing changes and drop a lot of packets after 8PM. A lot of packets for me is > 0 when I'm doing things and pages don't load etc.   I was told I would continue to experience problems as they "upgraded" their network and I got signed up with AT&T.

YMMV - Fiber Optic is a much clearer technology than old copper cable wires refitted with compensated old technology.  It can ONLY be better from the tech level.

Playing youtube/netflix my netflow indicates I often peak around 600-800 megabits and doing other stuff. Internet is very important to me and I WFH frequently, so my basis may be very different from yours.

Matthew Rogers
Senior Security Manager
O: +1.919.329.1130    M: +1.919.691.4636
allscripts.com | matthew.rogers2 at allscripts

Allscripts: Building open, connected communities of health